A long time ago in a galaxy actually not so far away, Colin Eberhardt wrote a Radial Gauge custom control for Silverlight in less than six hours. It had everything a gauge should have: a needle, and a scale with tick markers and labels. Hell, it even had colored quality range indicators. A couple of months ago, I thought "Hey, I can do that too." So I started a new Metro project in my Developer Preview of Windows 8. I tried to create a Metro version of that same radial gauge in less than six hours. Six lonely nights later, I still had absolutely nothing, and I started to consider anger management training. I gave up and started from scratch, this time on a much simpler control: a minimalistic slider. That involved a lot of work with -let's be honest- a rather lame result. The Developer Preview was clearly not an ideal environment for building custom controls.

Read More from: Original Source