iPhone TutorialsThis site contains a ton of fun tutorials – so many that they were becoming hard to find! So I put together this little page to help everyone quickly find the tutorial they’re looking for. Hope you enjoy! :]
Beginning iPhone ProgrammingIf you’re completely new to iPhone programming, start here! First there’s a tutorial series that will walk you through the process of creating an iPhone app from start to finish – using the most common APIs that almost every app uses. Next there’s a tutorial about memory management – the area where beginners most often get confused about!
- How To Create a Simple iPhone App Tutorial: 1/3
- How To Create a Simple iPhone App Tutorial: 2/3
- How To Create a Simple iPhone App Tutorial: 3/3
- Memory Management in Objective-C Tutorial
- How To Debug Memory Leaks with XCode and Instruments Tutorial
- Using Properties in Objective-C Tutorial
Game Programming with Cocos2D, Box2D, and ChipmunkIf you want to make games on the iPhone, the easiest way by far is to use the Cocos2D iPhone framework and the physics libraries that come with it – Box2D and Chipmunk. These tutorials will help get you started by showing you how to make some simple games and solve common problems.
In addition to these tutorials, you might be interested in the Cocos2D book Rod Strougo and I are working on.
- How To Make A Simple iPhone Game with Cocos2D
- Rotating Turrets: How To Make A Simple iPhone Game with Cocos2D Part 2
- Harder Monsters and More Levels: How To Make A Simple iPhone Game with Cocos2D Part 3
- How To Make a Tile Based Game with Cocos2D
- Collisions and Collectables: How To Make a Tile Based Game with Cocos2D Part 2
- How To Create Buttons in Cocos2D: Simple, Radio, and Toggle
- How To Use Animations and Sprite Sheets in Cocos2D
- How To Create and Optimize Sprite Sheets in Cocos2D with Texture Packer and Pixel Formats
- How To Drag and Drop Sprites with Cocos2D
- How To Create A Mole Whacking Game With Cocos2D: Part 1/2
- How To Create A Mole Whacking Game With Cocos2D: Part 2/2
- Intro to Box2D with Cocos2D Tutorial
- How To Create a Simple Breakout Game with Box2D and Cocos2D Tutorial: Part 1/2
- How To Create a Simple Breakout Game with Box2D and Cocos2D Tutorial: Part 2/2
- How To Use Box2D for Just Collision Detection
Game Programming and DevelopmentWhile we’re on the topic of game programming, here are a few posts with some tips and tricks for game developers.
- 5 Things I Learned Making My First iPhone Game
- How To Generate Game Tiles with Python Imaging Library
- How To Host a Beta Test for your iPhone App
- A n00bs Guide to Making a Beta Signup Form with PHP and WordPress
Saving and Loading DataAlmost every app needs to save and load data on the iPhone – and there are many different ways to do so. In these tutorials, you can get hands-on experience with many of the most common methods.
- How To Choose the Best XML Parser for your iPhone Project
- How to Read and Write XML Documents with GDataXML
- SQLite 101 for iPhone Developers: Creating and Scripting
- SQLite 101 for iPhone Developers: Making Our App
- Core Data Tutorial: Getting Started
- Core Data Tutorial: How To Preload and Import Existing Data
- Core Data Tutorial: How to use NSFetchedResultsController
- How to Save Your App Data with NSCoding and NSFileManager
- How to Integrate iTunes File Sharing with your iOS App
- How to Import and Export App Data via Email in your iOS App
Graphics and AnimationIn order to be successful on the App Store these days, your app needs to look good. Here are a few tutorials that you can use to up the quality level of your apps, and your gain mad skills with graphics and animation programming.
- Core Graphics 101: Lines, Rectangles, and Gradients
- Core Graphics 101: Shadows and Gloss
- Core Graphics 101: Arcs and Paths
- Core Graphics 101: Glossy Buttons
- Core Graphics 101: Patterns
- How to use UIView Animation Tutorial
- Introduction to CALayers Tutorial
- How to Write a Custom Image Picker like UIImagePicker
- How to Make a Custom UIView: a 5-star Rating View
- Beautiful Table View Helper Class
AudioWhen I first started iOS programming, I knew a WAV file played sounds and that was about it. These posts explain a lot about audio files and formats, and explain how you can play audio in your apps.
- Audio 101 for iPhone Developers: File and Data Formats
- Audio 101 for iPhone Developers: Converting and Recording
- Audio 101 for iPhone Developers: Playing Audio Programatically
iPad DevelopmentIf you know how to program for the iPhone, it’s a simple matter to program for the iPad as well! These tutorials walk you through some of the differences and help get you started with some of the new APIs available on the iPad.
- iPad for iPhone Developers 101: UISplitView Tutorial
- iPad for iPhone Developers 101: UIPopoverController Tutorial
- iPad for iPhone Developers 101: Custom Input View Tutorial
- How to Port an iPhone Application to the iPad
3rd Party LibrariesThere are a lot of third party APIs and SDKs you might want to include in your apps. These tutorials cover a few of them and show you how to get started.
- How to Post on Facebook with your iPhone App
- Hot to Use Facebook’s New Graph API from your iPhone App
- How to Get a User Profile with Facebook’s New Graph API
- How to Post to a User’s Wall, Upload Photos, and Add a Like Button from your iPhone App
- Introduction to Three20
- How to Use the Three20 Photo Viewer
- How to Translate Text with Google Translate and JSON on the iPhone
- How To Make A Simple RSS Reader iPhone App Tutorial
Training and AnnouncementsFrom time to time I announce upcoming training, books, and other types of announcements from this site. Here’s the news so far!
- Introducing Tom the Turret Cocos2D Sample Game
- Upcoming Class: iOS Programming 101
- Cocos2D Book and 360iDev
- iPhone 101 for Baltimore Developers
- Beginner iPhone Class Available